shrink wrapped duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by georgiao333, Oct 20, 2013.

1. georgiao333

georgiao333 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I need help ASAP,

I have a duckling in my incubator that made a fracture in the shell but not big enough to get air through, it was chirping in the egg for about 24 hours and started to get quieter so I candled the egg and saw the beak was into the air pocket and i made a small "view hole" in the egg. The duckling can now breathe and I'm not worried about it suffocating anymore, but...

i can see some blood in the egg and i'm unsure whether it just needs time in the incubator to soak up the blood or if its shrink wrapped, can someone please reply ASAP [​IMG] please there isnt very much blood and this duckling wants out!

its hard to get a good picture but it looks sorta like tin paper wrapping the ducking except for its bill, im a bit confused at the moment as to which part of the egg is the membrane... also i think the duck is trying to get out on its own, but im worried about the blood and if its shrink wrapped?

any help is appreciated!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    I had 6 of 8 eggs shrink wrapped last Spring. If your duckling was developed enough to pip and crack shell, it should be okay to assist. Here is a video of opening the first egg. She is in my avatar and backyard and just laid her 8th egg in a row today :) I had called the breeder and her told me that not helping hatch is for survival in nature. Once we put in incubator we take nature out of equation, so helping is a choice. I had to do it. I figured that we messed the humidity up to shrink wrap, so I went for it. Was terrified with the first one. By egg # 6 I realized it wasn't as delicate a procedure as I thought. Gook Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. georgiao333

Oct 20, 2013
    thanks so much!
    I had been watching this video earlier yesterday and then i did the proedure and you will all be happy to hear i have a healthy baby girl in the brooder going very well and no troubles so far! Thanks so much for your help!

5. georgiao333

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks Amiga,
    I will do that next time, as you will read above I now have a healthy baby thats even keen on eating today! thanks so much for all your help

6. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Yeah! Congrats!! So glad to hear! Glad I could help

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by