shrink wrapped - need help asap!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdbrain5, Apr 6, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    one of my chicks has zipped more than half way around the egg, looking down into the bator i can see the membrane is away from the egg shell and i think he is shrink wrapped. my humidity has been plenty high, but i did bump it up a bit more. since he has been like this and not progress any, three other chicks started to zip and are hatched now. so he should be out by now.. i dont know if i should open the bator because i have other that are zipping now and i dont want to cause any issues for them.. how long can he stay like this until i help him?

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    first question, have any other eggs pipped or zipped? If not, my personal opinion is to open the bator and help.

However, if you do have any other eggs pipped or zipped, I would caution you in opening the incubator, because you run the risk of dropping your humidity and shrinkwrapping the others.

If you do decide to help, you can take the incubator(if portable) into a steamed bathroom, that way you can help the chick and hopefully not drop the humidity.

I am no expert by any means and ultimately it is your call. I wish you luck [​IMG] and keep us updated on the progress! [​IMG]

3. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Quote:good advice

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I open my incubator and just deal with whatever problem at the time. I just don't leave it open. It has never effected my hatch.

5. Froghorn

Froghorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I do the same. In and out if need be. It has never effected my hatch either. However I do try to time it as to when all holes, cracks or zips are not present. I would do it between those.

6. Froghorn

Froghorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I do the same. In and out if need be. It has never effected my hatch either. However I do try to time it as to when all holes, cracks or zips are not present. I would do it between those.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by