Shrinkwrapped pipped at wrong end egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jfulcher, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    What do I do?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Same thing happened to me with my last hatch. I gently helped the little bugger out of her shell. She bounced around in a little ball shape trying to uncurl. I gave her drops of diluted vitamins, electrolytes and sugar water. Just allow the drip to catch the side of her beak and they will gobble it up. She stayed in the incubator until morning and she was fine. 15 weeks old now. A big beautiful EE pullet.

Sending positive vibes to your little Sticky Chick.

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I know it's a no-no to help, but I upped the humidity, and have begun helping it... I need a midwife!!!

4. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Should I get some powerade? And water it down when it is out??? This is a button quail hatching out...

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Use tweezers and go a mm at a time. you see any blood stop, put them back in on a damp paper towel and come back in an hour. the ONLY time I assist is if humidity causes shrink wrapping, I live in the desert and keeping humidity high for hatching requires uber viligiance. sometimes they make it, sometimes not, but there's no genetic reason for shrink wrapping just poor humidity control.

6. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Should I get some powerade? And water it down when it is out??? This is a button quail hatching out...

A button? good gosh, i've done cortunix assists, but a button will be tricky. remember slowly and stop the first second you see red.

7. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Humidity is fine in the bator I just took it out of the bator and it happened >< So it is indeed my fault. The face is not shrinkwrapped.

8. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712

A button? good gosh, i've done cortunix assists, but a button will be tricky. remember slowly and stop the first second you see red.

Tell me about it! These eggs are tiny, I stopped when I saw blood awhile ago, and put it back. Humidity is 57% at least. Cant wrap in a paper towel too tiny lol.

9. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Humidity is fine in the bator I just took it out of the bator and it happened >< So it is indeed my fault. The face is not shrinkwrapped.

Ack, no touchie! learn to knit, or juggle or type, keep hands off.

10. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Have 2 other eggs pipped besides this one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by