Shriveled chicken comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thiebert, Feb 12, 2016.

1. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    Hi. I have a hen that was lathargic (not eating) and had goo coming out of her mouth when she drank. I figured it was sour crop. So I withheld food until morning, made her vomit, feed her yogurt and wet warmed chick feed. I also gave her tetracycline in case of infection. I've let her out now with the others and she does seem better but she still looks like she has a full crop and she doesn't move around as quickly. (She looks fat) I then thought that something maybe stuck in her crop so I gave her lots bread soaked in olive oil and sprinkled with grit. I did this for 3 days now! Still the same. Her poop looks norm, she is roosting but she's not laying. Any ideas?

2. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    After she gets sick it takes a few days to start laying. I'm it so sure about why her crop is constantly full tho.

4. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    Awwwwwe. Poor baby. Take her to te vet tomorrow.

6. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    I'm thinking her crop is partially impacted. Which causes frequent sour crop. Will get her some meds from the vet. I don't want to pay for surgery, way too expensive out here

7. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    Hopes she's better soon!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by