Shriveled comb, not laying.

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
One of my CM pullets got pecked in the head a few weeks ago. We got her wound healed, it didn't look too bad, just a nick that bled a lot. Since a few days after the head peck, she stopped laying and her comb looks shriveled, not plump and full like it was before.
The flock will be a year old in May.
I've checked them all for mites, lice and other creepy crawlies. Dropped a stool specimen off for a worm check. They appear free of critters and healthy.
What could be the problem with this one girl? Not sure if the head peck even has anything to do with the shriveled comb and not laying.

Last edited:
One of my CM pullets got pecked in the head a few weeks ago. We got her wound healed, it didn't look too bad, just a nick that bled a lot. Since a few days after the head peck, she stopped laying and her comb looks shriveled, not plump and full like it was before.
The flock will be a year old in May.
I've checked them all for mites, lice and other creepy crawlies. Dropped a stool specimen off for a worm check. They appear free of critters and healthy.
What could be the problem with this one girl? Not sure if the head peck even has anything to do with the shriveled comb and not laying.

She may have stopped laying for a little winter break. Stress could be another reason, if she is getting picked on. Lack of day light and cold temps can cause it. she may be getting ready to molt which could also cause it. At this point, I would not worry. what ever is going on is most likely temporary and normal.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom