shroomin

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hoss1975, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    My mouth is watering as i type,the season is right around the corner.Last year was one of the best years i've ever had,i found 50+ pounds.If the weather stays right i'll be pickin blacks in a month [​IMG].Anyone else lookin forward to the season?

2. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Last year I found 1 shroom. Hope this year is better! I don't eat them I sell them and get great money for them at the auction center year before last I got $120 an lb. That was the best price ever. I love the hunt and the money but don't like the eating.

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Can you share exactly what types you look for and where? Where do you live? I've always wanted to look but can't figure out where. We own over 15 acres - almost all woods so you'd think I should be able to find some somewhere!

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

we have had 2 really lousy years .we all love them and i hope this year will be better!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Don't trust ANY mushroom guide book! I did, & DW & I ended up in the hospital!

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:there aren't many wild mushroom varieties that we will collect or eat...Morels and a coupe others . accidental poisoning is too easy to do to take any chances . Those people who are professionals and very well trained sometimes even make a mistake......

7. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Quote:That's a good price,i sold a little less than half last year and got $55 a lb.

Quote:We only have 4 types of edible shrooms,blacks,grays,yellows and peckerheads.I have picked and ate elephant ears before but i have heard they make people sick so i don't pick them any more.

Quote:I look for blacks,grays,and yellows,they are all morels.I do find the peckerheads to but if i'm finding morels i usually leave them.I live in north central IN.I hunt my own property and public land and a few other private woods.They love growing around dead and dying elms,certain types of oak trees.But you will find them anywhere,9 times out of 10 they will be around a dead elm.

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    A friend of mine is taking me morrel hunting this year! We can take what we find to our university extension office to make sure of what they are before we eat them. They will ID mushrooms for free.

9. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Morrel = EATING! Look like dirty sponges and show up in May. LOVE em!!!! Wish I could find em...they sell for $12 - $20 per pound.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Used to hunt Morrels as a kid with Mom, & siblings. LOVE em! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by