Shrubs,Trees/ Grasses,ferns,and flowers exc.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SablepootFarms, Feb 3, 2015.

1. SablepootFarms

SablepootFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    I'm building a coop well I'm using a old dog house its in amazing condition it has just been sitting by my house not being used. The dog I own will have nothing to do with a dog house he's to needy ha. Anyways I'm relocating it and sprucing it up for hens I'm adopting, I guess they could be considered rescue victims cause they were in pretty bad shape. I was hoping to see if any one had any suggestions about what I could do to enhance the area im using for the hens fenced off roaming area for when they can't be out roaming around. I'm placing the the coop under two massive maple trees they gorgeous and think it would nice to see hens under these guys. I was wondering what shrubs/grass,ferns,flowers exc. Would be heavy shade adapted for the hens to roam and wander through. Starting in spring through fall the ground is covered in wild posies. What could I do to this environment to give these hens a lush and enjoyable living "quarters" I live in Washington state and its February...its quite cold. Here's a picture below. Any advice is more than welcomed to all who managed to read all this haha. Thank you for your time.

2. SablepootFarms

Jan 28, 2015
    Picture below.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. gclark94560

gclark94560 Chillin' With My Peeps

Going thru much the same thoughts. I built a 25X15 fenced run for them and planted 3 "Tea Olives" in the area. I hope to provide shade in summer and a place to hide from hawks.

1 person likes this.
  4. SablepootFarms

Jan 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by