shrunk comb and wattles, dropped tail, just not herself :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debsbro, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Debsbro

Debsbro Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    Hi all I'm after some advise please.

We have 3wonderful chickens that are 2 years old. One of our girls doesn't seem herself, her comb and wattles have shrunk and they aren't bright red anymore the way they were. Her tail seems to have dropped and she keeps herself to herself, sits on her own huddled up and goes to sleep.

Anyone know what might be wrong with her?

Thanks in advance

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis, worms, mites or lice infestation, or a crop problem. Is she thin or is her abdomen full and hard? Does she have any discharge from the vent? How long since she laid an egg? Feel her crop in the early morning to make sure it is emptying. You might put her in a crate for a day or two to observe what she is eating, and her poos for any diarrhea/abnormal color. Look for any watry eyes, nasal discharge, or rattles when breathing.

3. Debsbro

Debsbro Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    Hi thanks for your reply. She hasn't laid an egg for ages now but I thought that was normal in the winter months. Her poos I think May be runny. No discharges that I'm aware of. She is growing and her feathers are lovely and soft. She is eating ok but she just isn't herself :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by