Shunned Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by D_Mom549, Nov 27, 2010.

1. D_Mom549

D_Mom549 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    Florida
    I have two less than one year old roos that I got several months ago. They had been raised since eggs together and got along great! They slept cuddled together and kinda tag teamed the ladies. Well, the past couple weeks my large roo, Jack, has completely shunned my slightly smaller roo Dragon. Jack doesn't let Dragon anywhere near the hens and Dragon has to sneak in after they leave to eat and drink. I have 14 hens currently in my flock and four eight week old pullets in a tractor in the same area. Dragon really likes the pullets and they all fawn over him when he comes near the tractor. My question is, will the shunning stop? I love both my boys and they aren't fighting, Jack just chases Dragon constantly. I hoped it was just because Dragon can't take a hint and still crows occasionally (which sends Jack running after him.) I had two roos who were raised together before and they got along great! I'm really hoping they'll settle down and Dragon will except his role as second in command. Does this just sound like establishing a pecking order? Thanks in advance for any advice or encouragement!

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Yep...just pecking order. The dominant roo won't let a lower roo late in front of him and usually crowing is off limits. Dragon will learn his place and all will be well.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hormones are running high! Happens to all roosters. Of course, if you only had one, the changes would be less severe. But if you want to keep both, there's a few choices you have.

First, understand that regardless of age, color, or size, all roos have the longing to be the 'alpha'. The only reason this is happening is because both have come to the understanding that they both want to be in charge. [​IMG] If only one wanted to, there'd be no fighting. Or shunning. If shunning is happening now, there's a good chance there will be an actual fight later on. Honestly, I'd rather have shunning roosters than fighting ones.

That said, you cannot make their antics stop. You can separate each from each other, but it will only prolong the agony. They're going to be 'dueling it out' for a while. I know is stinks to see feathers fly, but roosters are like this when they're becoming mature. It's what they do. If there is a fight and alot of blood is drawn, however, you must take the injured bird away for his own safety. Yes, they are very much establishing the pecking order. Sounds like you know who's going to be the top-dog.

Sadly, your flock ratio is a bit off. That could be an under-lying reason for the start of the fighting: you don't have enough hens. The best working ratio for a chicken flock is 1 roo for ever 9-10 hens. Some people can pull it off with much less hens; as it usually depends on the rooster(s). But many do not have the lugsery of doing so. I'd suggest either getting more girls, or the harder decission, rehoming a boy.

I'm currently in your sitaution. I have 1 roo who has been a doll for the year I had him and recently got stuck with a new one who also is very nice. Both are separated while I attempt to find a good home for the second. I wanted to keep both but I only have 12 girls. It's so hard to find a suitable home for lovely roosters.

Edited to Add: I missed the part about you having young pullets. 18 hens for 2 roos isn't bad at all, when they eventually join the flock. Be aware there is no exact ratio. It depends on the boys.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. D_Mom549

D_Mom549 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you for your responses! I was hoping to hear it was only establishing a pecking order. I'm willing to wait it out and keep an eye on them until things calm down. Dragon is a really pretty bird and I'd hate to have to give him away or eat him : P They're actually already getting better (I hadn't really been out there today). I also have a few more chicks I'll be introducing in the coming months and I'm expecting more come January so (hopefully) the ratios will be better too. I thought the number of hens I currently have might be affecting it since Dragon likes to strut.

5. TracyAnn

TracyAnn New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    This is our first year with chickens. We ended up with 3 roosters and 3 hens. I know our mix is way off but we only wanted 6 chickens. The Bantam rooster is only aggressive with us, but there are 2 RIR. The dominate one won't let the other RIR in the coop at night, so he has taken to roosting in a Willow tree. We are in the process of building a larger coop for this winter and I am wondering if the extra room will give him the confidence to venture inside with the rest of them. Would the layout of the coop help. We are still contemplating the inside layout.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's tough balance, despite size of coop.
    I would get rid of all the males and just enjoy having egg layers for now.

Plan your new coop to have two sections separated by a temporary wire wall,
    both sections to have people access and maybe even separate run access.
    This will make your whole chicken life much easier in the future.
    The separate section can be used to isolate a sick or aggressive bird, or a broody hen,
    or a new batch of chicks/chickens prior to integration with the existing flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by