Shut into coop at night with no food or water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Feb 2, 2012.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I read on here a few months back about several members shutting their ducks in at dusk and letting them out at dawn, and not supplying them with food or water during that time.

Well, it sounded genius to me! 99% of the mess in my duck coop is caused by them playing in their water!

However I just read another thread that made it apparent that not everyone does this. Was wondering what you all do?

I only shut my ducks in on the very coldest nights, as they have a very secure pen and we live on an island with almost no predators. So the total number of nights they have gone dusk to dawn without food or water has only been 4-5. They never seemed the worse for wear--though they would waddle right to the water dish once I let them out--but of course if this is bad for them I will not continue doing it.

Thoughts? What do you do?

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I used to have food and water in the coop for them, but I found that I'd have to clean the coop almost every day if I kept that up, so I took their water out. They're shut up every night, as there are a decent amount of predators around here. So they do go from dusk to dawn without water. They're fine.

3. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Ever since mine moved out of the basement brooder I have sent them to bed without access to food or water and doesn't seem to be a problem. I put them in around 10 at night and let them out around 6:30 the next morning. They are always excited to get a sip of water and dive into the chow dish.

4. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I lock up my 5 ducks at night. They seem a little thirsty and hungry when they come out but no problems. They have their routine and stick to it.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine all have water and food 24/7 i have water in a framed in spot which reduces the mess and the food.. they make no mess with it at all.. it's a small barn that they all share(total of 8)

My birds on occasion have been kept in, and i like knowing my birds are fed & watered if i cannot get out there at my usual time.. emergency with other livestock for instance(sadly i have tested that one)

I think there are a lot of variables... you have to find what works best for you and your birds.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    All mine get locked in at night. No food or water. I would have a huge mess. I have not had any problems yet.

7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    same here i leave the water in a big rubber bowl right outside the door so they go and drink right when i open the coop up for them..
    they seem fine they dont need it in there they just play in it.. my goats ripped up my floor so now i really have to keep water out of my coop until i can some how water proof the floor again and even then... i like how i dont have to sweegie the floor every day.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not supplying food and water while cooped up serves several purposes: less mess in the coop, less attractant for mice and rats, and causes no problems whatsoever for the ducks.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You can do the same for chickens!

10. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

Holderread says, in the Storey Book, that withholding food and water at night can be done without detriment to the birds if done consistently. The birds adjust their routine to fit the pattern you establish. Based off his advice, I would think, for the few nights a year you lock them in, it would be best to provide food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by