Shutting Up The Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Dec 28, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    We have two beautiful pekin ducklings that just got their white feathers. They are in the house and my husband simply adores these ducks. So do I. When we go to bed, I can still hear them "talking" to each other. They aren't noisy like they are during the day, its more like a whisper talk. Its like they know we are in bed sleeping. Or trying too. But they drive me nuts sometimes. Do they ever sleep? Does it have to be completely dark? I don't have a light on them. But I do have a brooder with chicks next to their cage. Also, what do you guys use to dust the ducks for mites? I havent seen any but just want to know. Thanks

2. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Are they going to be house ducks? If not I would move them outside if you are able to. Otherwise try complete darkness.

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    when I have ducklings in the house that are feathering I give them complete darkness at bedtime and rarely hear much talking out of them.

Michelle

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you ! I guess darkness is it then. [​IMG]

5. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

when i kept a light on they played,talked etc. but when it was dark they actually went to bed and stayed in the same
    spot all nite.. I also run a small fan in the bedroom to block out noise !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by