Shy Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stuartjam, Nov 16, 2008.

1. stuartjam

stuartjam New Egg

Nov 16, 2008
    tyne and wear uk
    Hi I am hoping that some kind person could help, Total newbie to keeping chickens.
    I have had my three beautiful girls for three weeks now, they are approx 23 weeks old, the problem is they are very shy and nervous they dont seem to be eating alot and they are spending alot of their day inside the chicken coop. I am feeding them a mix of corn and layers pellets. also rice and pasta late in the afternoon. i am letting them roam free range all day but i am watching them like a hawk and they dont seem to be eating bits from the garden . when i have managed to pick them up they seem really light. i have tried tempting them with worms, slugs etc etc but they wont touch them. what can i do to help them settle in better and eat more as i am worried that i am doing something wrong.
    I havent had any eggs from the the girls as of yet, a friend of mine has said they can be like this until they come into lay? and suggested putting in a light but i am unsure? please any advice will be great [​IMG]

2. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Could there be a danger about that you are not aware of, such as a snake or possum hiding in the house?
    I had a snake once in my chicken house and did not know it and my chickens were so quiet and would not come down from the roost. I finally found him and sent him to a secluded part of the wilderness and they came down from there and changed their attitude immediately. good luck..

3. mama3chix

mama3chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh, by the way, [​IMG] ,you'll enjoy it here!!!!!!! [​IMG] and if you are like me, this is what you will look like [​IMG]

4. stuartjam

stuartjam New Egg

Nov 16, 2008
    tyne and wear uk
    I have never been off the net looking at chicken websites lol. No danger of any snakes or possum in North East of England [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. Debo's Chickens

Debo's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Everett, WA
  7. stuartjam

stuartjam New Egg

Nov 16, 2008
    tyne and wear uk
    I have tried all sorts but there are few things on the treat list that i have'nt, off to the shops in the morning to buy everything on the list lol!! they will be the happiest chickens in Newcastle Upon Tyne. thanks for all your valuable input [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by