1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shy girl.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by murdeb, Sep 28, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    Two weeks ago I got 2 Buff Orpingtons, one is really friendly, eats out of my hand etc! The other one is alittle skittish, I try to hold her every night before they go to bed. Is there anything else I should be doing to get her out of her shell?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    What you're doing is just great! Entice her with yummy treats, and pet her in the evenings when she goes to roost. Also, if she's not laying yet, she will get friendlier once she starts to squat (reaches maturity).

3. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    Thanks! Glad to know I'm moving in the right direction! Can you please explain "squatting" to me? I'm kinda new at being a chicken mom!

4. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Hi, noticed you were still on line without a reply. Others can explain this in greater detail, but I'll give it a shot. Squatting occurs when you are able to place your hand lightly on the hens back, and she squats down, without a lot of fuss/squawking etc. and trying to get away from you. It's a behaviour/technique the rooster uses to place his foot/claw on their back to get the hen to squat down so he can "mount her", and do his business. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by