Shy hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mhegge, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mhegge

mhegge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    I have 5 hens and a rooster, all 15 weeks, all came together from one place at 10 weeks. There is one hen who is more shy for sure, but this last week I can hardly get her to leave the coop. She'll come out right away, and then when the school bus shows up, she runs back. I will literally have to bring her out. And she may or may not be sleeping with the others, there was one a little separated this morning but it could have been another that looks like her too. We free range by the way and they all love being out, and she used to be out all the time. I just want to make sure this isn't a problem.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

Maybe there's a bit of bullying from other flock members or something has scared the living daylights out of her, or she is sick?
    Sorry i cannot be of anymore help.

CT

3. mhegge

Sep 2, 2015
    No bullying at all actually. I don't see any signs of illness; eats and drinks well, moves well, active, just acts shy. Could this just be her personality?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's a normal occurrence for some chickens to display shy, reticent behavior. I have one in my flock at present.

It's also normal for chickens to overcome this behavior and to gain confidence over time. Just make sure that there's no bullying and the shy one is getting her share of essentials.

5. mhegge

Sep 2, 2015

Ok, that's very reassuring to hear. I'll just give it some time. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by