1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shy, nervous hens suddenly friendly.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Could it be because they are ready to lay?

All the girls are doing the "squat" now. Well, not all. My Aussie doesnt, she is the flock leader. And neither does my BO Audrey, who is picked up and carried around all the time. She never gets the chance to squat.[​IMG]

But my BC and my large and still relatively comb less BO who were until very recently she and timid have suddenly become friendly and more outgoing. My BC actually choose to come up into the house this past weekend and hung out with us. She even hopped up into my lap and let me pat her for a bit. And my BO Mae came up to me and let me pat and hold her. Not at all usual for them. Even though they have both been with us and had us around them sicne they were day olds.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yes, they are probably getting ready to lay.

Isn't nice when you don't feel scary any more?

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our RIR got much friendly when she started to lay. She still isn't Mrs. Snuggles, but she comes closer and talks to us more than she used to.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, they're "Big Girls" now. [​IMG] All of my girls mellowed out once they began laying. Probably hormonal but I like to think of it as a "right of passage" in the chicken world. They act more self assured and very proud of themselves. Congrats and enjoy your new eggs soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by