si it safe to use cedar shavings in the chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by urban chicks, Oct 14, 2013.

1. urban chicks

urban chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    hi recently purchased cedar shaving and i was wondering if it is safe to use it in the chicken run?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

The problem with cedar shavings is that they are stinky....so I would think not good in the coop.

The problem with putting the wood shavings in the run is that they will suck up all rain and get disgusting.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's little point in putting any type of litter in a RUN
    Cedar fumes can be to strong in a coop

4. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    I know people have used cedar shavings and say they have had no problems. I tend to avoid them because the birds might eat some as they scratch and pick around. I definitely would not use them on a regular basis, because cumulative effects of ingested and inhaled particles could be problematic. But if you're talking about one bag of cedar shavings you want to use up, it's probably okay.

5. urban chicks

urban chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    i have a covered run so that won't be an issue. so will it be safe for them.

thank you guys for responding

6. cmonkey4

cmonkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Pacific, MO
    I read that the strong cedar odor from the chips causes breathing problems with the chickens. I use kiln dried pine shavings.

7. SILKIEOBESSESED

SILKIEOBESSESED Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    fl
    my friend claims pine shavings r the BEST!

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If there is enough ventilation, then the cedar chips would be OK. To test, stick yor nose up close to the chips after you spread them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by