1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Siamese Fireback Trio's

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by JJRS, Dec 20, 2013.

1. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Anyone have first hand experience with Siamese Firebacks as trio's?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Pairs only for firebacks.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. JJRS

Mar 30, 2012
    That's what I hear. Think I could separate the hens in two different pens and move the cock between the two during breeding?

4. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I don't really know,but it's certainly worth a try..
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Wouldn't the cock/hens have problems getting used to the change, depending how often you move the male?

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Couldn't answer that question?I've heard that ringnecks breed the hens at the beginning of the season and they are fertile for the duration og that season.I don't know if there is any confirmed facts on that.Why not just get another male and breed 2 pairs?Are the hens related?
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. JJRS

Mar 30, 2012
    The birds are unrelated. I had 2 pr, one cock was unintentionally liberated. I may eventually replace him via purchase if I must. I would to prefer to replace him with one of my own 2014 hatch, God willing. Currently I am not interested in continued investments in pheasants. I already have a giant money pit called "waterfowl". I will separate the hens for their safety. I will move the cock to the single hens pen once his primary hen has begun to lay this spring and see what happens. I will post any interesting results this summer.

8. JJRS

Mar 30, 2012
    Anyone know when Firebacks usually begin breeding and laying in the Western US? I have been researching and cannot find much at all.
    Thx.

9. Alien

Alien Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Depending on your location and weather. Mine don't start till May or June and will lay clutches in june and july. Crestless sometimes in April.

10. JJRS

Mar 30, 2012
    Thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by