Siberian Husky female won't keep on weight! (preggo)

USMCwifey

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
WNY
This is our 2nd litter with out 2.5 yr old Siberian Husky, Iris. She is a great mother and has very easy births. However she is a VERY picky eater and doesn't keep weight on her very well. We had to build her up before we decided to breed her and she was doing so well! Now she's about 2 weeks from her due date and she just doesn't seem big enough for my likings! She always has a FULL bowl of food and water, treats, and exercise. We've tried a different type of food, but she won't eat anything other than ALPO dog food. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get some more weight on her before the pups come and after they're here? Last time she had her pups she turned into a twig because she wouldn't leave her puppies sides. We ended up having to switch her to wet food 3 times a day for about 2 weeks before slowly putting her back onto dry food. Are there any other ways to get some health weight on her?

first, I would stop free feeding her. feed her at least twice a day, high quality food. being pregnant, I would feed her at least 3X.
www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a good site to find a good food. find a higher protein food, low in corn.
The reason so many dogs like foods like Alpo is that the company covers it with a strong synthetic "meat" scent.

Also, switching her to a puppy food, can provide her with a higher level of nutrients. Is it Alpo wet or dry? mix a little bit in with her food. give her 30 mins to eat, but if she walks away from it pick it up until you offer it again.

sadly, switching foods to "find something she likes" has the opposite effect. She knows that if she holds out, you will up the ante and give her something even better. Find something that she does like and stick with it. Shredded cheese is a good additive to sprinkle on the food to entice dogs to eat.

does she have a sensitive stomach? good solid poops or runny? huge piles of elephant dung or small compact poo? Have you talked to your vet about her diet? What does he think of how much she weighs? Most people, honestly, have their dogs WAY too fat. Of course a pregnant female will be different, but the average dog you should be able to lightly feel their ribs when you rub your hands down their sides.

I free choice feed my saint still. She is under 2 though, and no problems. I think it might be good to do the two feedings a day that way she will really be hungry come the next meal.

I feed Diamond large breed puppy to my saint and 2 small weiner dogs that are adults with no problems they all get free choice.

To get her to want to eat her food.....you can put a dolop of cottage cheese on it soak it in some freshly made chicken broth.

You can take a look at Satin balls. They put weight on very nicely. I am just not sure if they are good while being pregnant.

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs2.html

yeah, I thought of satin balls as well. but being pregnant, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. They are rather unbalanced with high fat to promote weight gain. Most pregnant animals don't need calories just for the sake of adding fat.

Again, I'd like to know what she weighs and what the vet says about her weight. Sadly, every dog I see is overweight. I hear a million times a day (at least feels like it!) that I'm starving my dogs to death and why are they so skinny??? when the pup is the perfect weight for his build and Rayden actually needs to LOSE at least 5 lbs

Quote:
Her poops are good and solid, nothing too big or little, she weighted 45lbs before preggo which the vet said was perfect for her breed and size. (She's on the smaller size for a Husky) He says she looks healthy, but seems to just be a choosey eater. He told me to mix wet with dry food, but it may cause her to favor the wet food over the dry. I'm thinking of switching vets though because I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the vet we visit. And when we brought out runt there from the last litter they said she looked fine and healthy... she ended up being completely blind and somehow they missed that?! I'm gonna try the 2 times a day feeding and see if it helps. The cheese sounds like a good idea too! Thanks everyone, I'll keep ya'll updated!
smile.png

Quote:
OMG, I know!!! Our male Husky is very healthy and athletic and we ALWAYS get, why is he so skinny? Don't you feed him?! Like are you kidding me. Just because we don't feed our dogs table scraps and garbage doesn't mean they aren't healthy. I think a lot of people just don't know breed standards as well as they think.

Back
Top Bottom