Siberian Husky? Good protectors?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cat's Coop, May 14, 2010.

1. Cat's Coop

Cat's Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    North Fort Worth, Texas
    I have an opportunity to get a Siberian Husky female puppy. Has anyone had success with the breed protecting their chickens and being a good guard dog?

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:No. Husky's have a very high prey drive and tend to be extremely active. A husky would NOT be a good flock guard - quite the opposite.

3. outdoorschik

outdoorschik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    I read the questions and spit up my coffee. I run a sled dog kennel, with sibes, alaskans, and mals. Honestly, a sibe would be the worst livestock guardian dog you could possibly choose. Between my neighbors and I (they also have sibes), the death and destruction of small furry and feathered creatures has been unmatched. Sibes love to chase and kill (kill not necessarily eat) chickens. Now, obviously not all and there are certainly exceptions to the breed as I'm sure there are some on the board with huskies and chickens co-existing peacefully, however I'd not bank on this dog being the exception. Last week I came home to 13 dead hens, necks broken and a sibe having scaled a 7 ft fence very pleased with herself. We've lost cats, kittens, rabbits (in the past, now we will never have these creatures again as we cannot keep them safe) and have had to build Fort Knox to keep chickens (8ftm], buried, electrified coop). One of my sibes hunts and kills, mice, voles, partridges and would run wild game if we let her.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree, absolutely the WORST livestock guardian. Maybe he'll guard his snack bar from other dogs, but huskies are notorious chicken killers.

5. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    My new neighbors husky wiped out about half of my flock in less than an hour while i was at work one day [​IMG] so no do NOT let a husky around your chickens.... EVER! =/

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Quote:I had the same reaction, LOL! Our Siberian though very beautiful to look at would hide under the porch when people came over and hunt 24 hours a day, she would kill birds, mice, rabbits anything she could catch, which was a lot because she was agile and fast. Oh and don't try to keep her in a fence she could scale anything we put her in.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh good god no!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I had the same reaction, LOL! Our Siberian though very beautiful to look at would hide under the porch when people came over and hunt 24 hours a day, she would kill birds, mice, rabbits anything she could catch, which was a lot because she was agile and fast. Oh and don't try to keep her in a fence she could scale anything we put her in.

X3-- on the coffee spitting, This thread could do a number on byc keyboards. They are beautifull, intelligent dogs, but they have a massive prey drive that would make it unlikely to ever be safe with the chooks walking around the same yard, let alone gaurd them.

9. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Don't do it. I had a husky/chow and she was a great guard dog, but when given the chance she would snack on chickens all day long.

10. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I used to have a husky and he killed/chased EVERYTHING. Keeping him in our yard was a chore in and of itself. I could never have trusted him around chickens as there was always something he killed in our yard. (try explaining that to your neighbors...)

Their gorgeous to look at but I would never own one again.

(for you husky lovers, I had him for almost 12 years and he succumbed to old age. I didn't get rid of him as the post implies. Quite the opposite, that dog lived like a king.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by