1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Siberian Kitten?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Citychick, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Hi we are looking for a lower cost siberian kitten for our kids. These are the hypoallergenic cats. My DH has severe cat allergies and can't have the regular kind around. If anyone knows where we can find one I'd appreciate it. We live in Nebraska.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As with hypoallergenic dogs... have you had one before to make sure that that is true? Since the hypoallergenic dogs are really just less allergenic than normal ones, and not truely hypoallergenic as many are claimed. Good luck on your search!

3. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I have never heard of this breed. I think the only cat you can be *almost* sure of being non-allergenic is the hairless and even so, that is not guaranteed.
    Hypoallergic is a term that breeders toss around very loosley- procede with caution.
    Edited to add: please check this site- Siberian cat rescue. #1 cause of cats turned in is allergies. Sorry but better to know now than after you have gotten a kitten.
    http://www.siberiancatrescue.com/id27.html

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  4. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    The hair is actually not the main cause of the allergic reaction. I am VERY allergic to cats, but still own a few. The animals produce an allergen. If they rub their noses or mouths on me, I break out. Sometimes the whites of my eyes will even swell if they rub aroung my face or neck. Being around cats that are not spade or neutered, or over weight cats, causes a more severe allergic reaction because they produce more of the allergen. Most people think long-haired cats are worse, but my neighbor's long-hair doesn't bother me at all. I personally have the most trouble around over weight cats. It doesn't seem to be dependent on the breed, but just the individual cat.

Catnip, the best thing would be for you (or the allergic person) to spend time around an individual cat until you find one tolerable, and have some Claritin ready! Having cat allergies is horrible, but don't lost hope! It can be lived with if approached with care. [​IMG] Good luck with your search!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh man, if I get cat saliva on my hands, the next thing I'll find out is a swollen white and bloody patch where ever the spit ended up. Since they lick themselves, If I pet a cat, my entire palm breaks out and makes my exema terrible. However, I still have a cat and wear rubber gloves when touching/petting it. It's totally outdoors and is a working cat. Maybe you can get a working cat if you have a outbuilding for it to stay in?

6. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Yes, I own sphynx (hairlessc cats) and it just depends on what you are allergic to like everyone has said. Sphynx yes, dont have hair, but if you are allergic to dander than you are SOL too. Just be careful, and do alot of research, dont always trust the breeders.

7. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:Lucky for me, I am not allergic to cats. Just curious about the breed as I had never heard of it. I also just hate to see breeders advertise dogs/cats as hypoallergenic as none are. As Silkiechick pointed out, she is allergic to the saliva. I think dander is also a cause? I guess testing and shots would be the way to go if one were allergic and truly had their heart set on getting a cat. I just hate to see heartbroken kids having to get rid of a pet because of an allergy in the family.

8. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Ha! Sorry Catnip, I was in a hurry, meant to address that to Citychick [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Next up from the Sphinx is the Cornish Rex, I have one of those - they're also said to be good for folk with allergies. They only have one short layer of hair - not the normal three layers of a normal cat.

Cornish have one layer of hair, then next up is the Devon Rex, which have two layers of hair, and then you get the normal regular cats....

Cornish look a lot like the Sphinx, and Devon rex less so.

All cute!

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by