Sibling matings

Yes. Up to a certain point. I think I've heard 5th generation or less for inbreedings? As in after 5 years, you'll have to introduce new bloodlines.
smile.png
I usually try to avoid that altogether & mix in new bloodlines yearly to find the best matches.

Its better to breed cousins and grand father to grand daughter. Its not really good to breed sibling together unless you have to, to bring out a certian trait such as a colour.

If the chicks came from a hatchery, are they siblings???
Say you get straight run chicks from Ideal, can you let them mate, or are they from the same mating??

There's no way of telling with hatchery birds. I would think that the chicks were not closely related. My uncle always told me you can breed siblings for one generation,but you don't want to breed those resulting siblings together. I try to avoid it,but I may do it if I am trying to breed for a favorable trait.

No for the Orpington Bantams (hatchery question) and the roo comes with his half sisters. The next generation will be a new roo probably from KingsCalls' stock if he still around for next year. Unless there is one nearby. The trio were from Superior Farms and D. Chandler lines.

Back
Top Bottom