Siblings in a cock fight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmomma2, Dec 29, 2012.

1. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    2 of my boys, Shakespeare (a bard rock) and Rufus (a white not sure what breed) went toe to toe this evening after I let them out of the run. They were both born 2/19/12 in the same incubation and have been together ever since. Not sure what was going on but they were facing off with their feathers puffed out and Shakespeare seemed to be the aggressor. They would run at each other and bump chests. It all lasted about 3-4 minutes. When Rufus would try to move away Shake would come after him and grab a wing. Finally Rufus went toward the coop, Shake ran after him but didn't continue when Rufus got just outside the coop where some of the girls were. Any idea what could be going on? There has never been any aggressive behavior between them before. thanks for your input.

2. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Pecking order among roosters is pretty violent. They may have been reared together, but in terms of competition for mates, it's all game. If they're getting worrisome, you need to choose which rooster you want to keep and the other would have the re-homed or processed for meat. Otherwise two fighting males could put the rest of the flock on edge, which will effect your laying.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    No telling what set them off. We have 3 roos of different breeds from the same hatch and most of the time they get along fine as the alpha roo was established early. However, #2 & #3 have been sparring alot lately to see who gets the next rank. I think they may have settled it today with our silkie roo beating out our houdan for the #2 spot. The houdan was found by my daughter with his head stuck behind the nest boxes, upside down![​IMG] Now he is running away anytime the silkie comes near. Roos are crazy! Who knows what goes on in those hormone addled minds.[​IMG]

4. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    Rufus has always been lowest on the pecking order. Shake has always been at the top. Rufus has always been a pain but his behavior has much improved over the past few months. Hopefully it's just a short tiff. I will definitely have to keep an eye on them. Shake always sleeps on the roost pole on one side of the coop, Rufus on the roost shelf on the other side. Both have their own ladies. [​IMG]

5. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    Thanks Puddin Fluff for the laugh. Hopefully they will work things out. A week or so ago 2 of the roos got into a disagreement out in the yard and one ran in and hid in a nest box! [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't know how many hens are in your flock, but I have several roosters in my flock. Over the past couple of years, I have removed those growing up I didn't want to keep, and kept a very few younger cockerels to mature within the flock.

There are small scuffles and they work it out. The ones that abused the hens or didn't work it out after a couple of flamenco dances of male testosterone got slated for processing.

Folks are often surprised to learn a flock CAN support more than one rooster.

7. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    I have 29 hens and 4 roos. They divided up the girls early on. Almost evenly divided. 3 of my girls are babies produced by brood hens. 1 is about 5 months and I saw Shake jump her yesterday. The other 2 hens are about 4 months. They stay away from the others. Their momma wasn't much of a momma. She took off out of the run when I opened the gate once and had gone a distance before she realized she had left two 2 week olds in the run. OOPS! [​IMG]

I love my girls and boys. They are my therapy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by