Sicilian Buttercup Gasping for Air?! Sounds distressed... please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RGBistro, Nov 2, 2011.

1. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Hello friends,

I came home from work early this afternoon to spend some time with my flock. (And hoping for first eggs since the oldest are 18 weeks old this week.) All afternoon, the sicilian buttercup has been gasping for air, kind of like she's going to bawk, but little sound comes out. Help?! She's usually flighty but didn't resist being picked up today. She sounds distressed. She's been closing her eyes every time she tries to bawk.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - 18 week old Sicilian Buttercup pullet
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Gasping for air
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 4 hours
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Won't eat or drink
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny and chalky white
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Nope
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Coop and covered run has pine shavings

Thanks in advance,

Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by