Sicilian buttercups? Other breed suggestions?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brigitte_the_leghorn, Jul 8, 2011.

1. brigitte_the_leghorn

brigitte_the_leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    From my light research, they seem like beautiful birds and I like the idea of small, pearl white eggs. But I was wondering what the community's opinion was having a Sicilian Buttercup in a mixed flock [2 RIR's, 1 EE, 1 white plymouth rock, 1 delaware]. A farm called Dare 2 Dream farms currently has pullets and I called to inquire. However, I want to make sure that she would be happy with my other girls Or if anyone else has any breed suggestions, please let me know! Currently looking for a replacement hen for my orpington who turned out to be a roo!
    Thanks so much!
    -Rosey

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:They're lovely smaller birds who lay like champs and while flighty, are curious and will tolerate being held if you do it when they are young. If you don't get them used to it when young, it won't be happening.

They talk a lot and make a bunch of weird noises, little chatters, shrieks, etc. I ADORE mine. They also are light eaters for the size and quantity of the eggs they lay.

Whatever you choose, you might get a pair, as introducing a single bird to an established group will be difficult on her. It's better to give her a pal to go through it with her, and that keeps the group from focusing on a single newbie.

3. brigitte_the_leghorn

brigitte_the_leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Thanks for the handy info! I will take your advice and try to ask the farm about getting two pullets. I don't mind chatty! In fact I find their soft clucking quite calming. It may help acclimate the new breed in...my rhode island red, Artemis can be extremely territorial and downright rude to newcomers!

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:If she gets to be a meanie, you can pull her out for a few days while the new ones get comfy, and then bring her back- it often helps to make an attitude change.

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    My buttercups are not real friendly, but keep their distance. They aren't talkative (not like the turkens who NEVER quit talking).............LOL>
    I would say the eggs started out small but are darn near med/large now that they are over a year old. I would get more if I liked white eggs, but I prefer darker/splashed eggs instead.

6. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

They will definatley prefer to be free ranged during the day, otherwise they will become really nervous.

7. DuccleLover101

DuccleLover101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    CA
    I have a buttercup and she is adorable. She is flighty and dosen't tolerate being held. She does get along well with other birds and she is an egg-laying machine. Good Luck with your new Buttercups!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by