1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sicilian buttercups - post your pictures

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by muell112, Oct 12, 2009.

1. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    This is my sicilian buttercup - 5.5 month old hen. She just started laying beautiful white eggs.

[​IMG]

Here she is a few months ago as a pullet:
    [​IMG]

And as a chick:
    [​IMG]

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty Pretty!! I thought I"d like buttercups till I saw how much they prefer warmth, and in Northern Ohio, that's not a good thing! She sure is a sweety though!

3. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I live in central Maine...We've got a nice insulated coop and a sunny spot and she seems to be doing quite well...

Quote:

4. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    wait.. the original poster is in ME and nothern OH isn't okay for them? Do they have to stay in a warmer climate? I will be getting more chicks I think in the spring... thought about these.....
    Maine seems colder than Ohio....

how big do they get? weight size etc

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I'll keep you posted on how she does this winter. She's on the small side compared to the other breeds I have - I think they get 3-5 lbs. I think it depends on what your set up is as far as how far north you can have them. We are in full sun, and fully insulated coop-wise. At least one window is receiving full sun at all times.

6. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    And I would recommend the breed. Our friend (who also lives in Maine) also has one - they are great to handle and very sweet.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, it's possible to keep em no doubt, an old chicken friend always always had white leghorns which are also a Mediteranian breed with lightish feathers, lower body weight and big ol' combs. He LOVED em and that's great. I just decided I'd go with heavier birds, more adapted to our cold damp weather. Also, as a rule, it is dryer up there which is actually easier to manage even though the temps are lower.

Just my choice, blessings on everyone elses too! ...though I gotta wonder about silkies, are those -really- chickens? Are you SURE??? (joking! [​IMG] honest! I like to tease you guys is all! )

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I had some eggs .. they didn't hatch .. boo hoo...

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I love my Buttercups.
    [​IMG]
    Pic of Butters. She's a sweetheart.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Oh my! They are just gorgeous. Why did I look?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by