1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick 1 day old... can't seem to hold up head and she's ticking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by McGoo, Dec 17, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

She's unable to hold her head up for extended periods of time. She was the last of the hatch and weak, but I thought she would recover. I could hear this obvious loud heart beat/ticking from one of them and it was her. When I picked her up the sound was throughout her body... like a ticking/clicking sound. What could this be? Crazy.

Please help... thank you.

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    I think the clicking has something to do with respiring (breathing). I would GET HER SEPARATED immediately, and if you are up to it, cull... since she is weak now she could be carrying some genetic defect, and is probably suffering. Sorry this isn't much help... [​IMG]

bump.

3. McGoo

thx. I'm seperating her and wating to see what others say. I will lt her go if what you say is so. I won't let her suffer...it 's not fair.

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well, I'd cull her to...

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I agree, sounds respiratory. Sorry, I know it's difficult but I too would cull [​IMG]

6. McGoo

It's done. I culled her. [​IMG] Sad, but not the worst thing in the world. It was quick. I really didn't want her weakened state to pick up anything that could be spread to the others. I now have 6 little ones.

THanks for your advice. I sincerely appreciate it. You guys are the best!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Colleen, I just saw this. Sorry for the little one. Some are just not meant to be. It's always hard to cull the poor things, no matter what the reason. You have some sweet new babies to concentrate on, though! [​IMG]

8. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:Way to be brave-- you did what was right and noble... thank you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. McGoo

And yes, I'm really lucky to have 6 sweet little ones to capture my attention and affections!

I've got 2 Buff Orpingtons and a white Araucana from Jody and 3 wheaton marans from Bev Davis. All blondies.

I hope I hope for girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by