Sick 1 month old chick???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilovmychicks, Mar 29, 2015.

1. ilovmychicks

ilovmychicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    HI all I am a new Chick mommy and this is my first adventure with chickens! I am so attached to my 1 month chicks already!!! Now this morning I get up go check on my babies and one was over in the corner all bristled up and eyes closed. I knew something was wrong because when they hear me they all come running. Now I picked her up and she chirped alot. When I put her back down it looked like she was holding her wing kinda funny. How do I tell if she is sick or hurt?? What do I do??? I'm so worried!!!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. ilovmychicks

Mar 29, 2015
    Please someone help???!!!!! I am so worried and I just feel like every minute counts! The only meds I have are probotics and VET RX but that just says for upper respertory infection. Now should I maybe get an eye dropper and give my sick birdie some water with probiotics??? Please help!!!!!

3. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

I would run to the feed store and pick up Corid asap. It is used to treat coccidiosis. I don't know the dosage for the powder form but the liquid Corid is 9ml per gallon of water. You can put a drop or two undiluted directly in it's beak to help get it started on medication if it isn't drinking. That's the first thing I would suspect with a sick young chick. Not saying that is what is wrong, but it can kill them quickly. Use this as their only souce of water for five to seven days. Change daily.

Editing to add, don't provide extra vitamin supplements while treating. The medication is a vit B blocker which is what the disease (protozoa) thrive on, so you don't want to provide extra B in their diet while treating.

4. ilovmychicks

Mar 29, 2015
    Thank you Mrs Bach Bach!!!!! I am on my way to TS now!!!! If it just started this morning she should be ok right? Thanks again!!!

Misty

5. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    If she is already puffed up and lethargic she will have trouble recovering but the others will need to be treated asap if it is coccidiosis. They will have blood and tissues present in the poop in the late stages. After the 7 day treatment of corid in the water I would suggest keeping raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the "mother" in their water at all times even in adulthood. The ratio of ACV to water varies but I put about 3 tbs ACV per gallon water. The ACV will help keep the good gut flora built up. Coccidiosis is caused by an imbalance of bad microbes in the gut and chicks cannot fight off the bad microbes fast enough. ACV also makes the gut a poor environment for worms which is why I keep in in my chickens water. Corid will kill the bad microbes (actually starve them) and help the chicks become balanced again. I would also recommend feeding plain yogurt daily for probiotics(prepackaged probiotics are good too. Fermented raw goats milk is the absolute best for probiotics. They sell it for dogs and cats at natural pet stores sometimes. ANSWERS and PRIMAL are good brands for the raw goats milk) as well as raw garlic and cayenne pepper daily/weekly. Garlic and cayenne worm/build up immune systems in chickens. Oregano oil is a natural antibiotic if you suspect any other illnesses. I also add DE to my feed

6. Lucky KY Chicks

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Also, either clean their cage out well or put an extra layer of bedding on top. I personally put an extra layer of bedding on to lessen their exposure to the bad microbes but not remove them so that they build gradual immunity for when they go into a coop/run setting where the bad microbes will be everywhere.

7. ilovmychicks

Mar 29, 2015
    So even though it's only been 1 day since she has been ill you don't think she will recover? Do you recommend that I put some of the already mixed meds with water in a syringe and give her a little that way?? Just to make sure she gets some? I just got done cleaning out the cage very well and put new bedding in. Fresh water with the medicine and fresh feed. Thanks for your input!!! You don't know how much it means to me!!!!

Misty

8. Lucky KY Chicks

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    She very well could make it but she definitely needs special attention. Did you get liquid corid or powder? I would give her a 1/2 cc of the liquid corid straight so about 10 drops. Drop 5, let her swallow, drop next 5. I'd do that 2x daily if she isn't drinking much but I am no vet. This is based on my trying to save several 6 week olds last summer. Some were too far gone by the time I noticed them. It's hard to detect until they are really sick. Others may have more accurate information. Try to keep her eating/drinking and add hard boiled eggs to the feed. I'd add garlic powder or minced garlic/chopped raw garlic and cayenne too if it were me. The cayenne won't burn their mouths, they don't have heat receptors like us

9. Lucky KY Chicks

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    How is everyone?

10. ilovmychicks

Mar 29, 2015
    Hi!!!! Thank you so much for all the great information and checking back in with me! All of my Chicks are doing GREAT!!!!! My little sick girl snapped right out of it!!! I went to TSC and they didn't have any Corid but I did get something else...I can't think of the name of it now offhand but it also id for cocci. Anyways I treated my sick girl with a few drops of the powder/water mixture and cleaned out the area real nice and the next morning she was GREAT!!! I'm wondering if maybe she just had a tummy ache or something silly?? But thanks GOD everyone is fine! I am so happy!!!! I just love my babies! I never thought I could become so attached to chickens!!

Thank you soooo very much for all your help and concern! BTW, I didn't know that they didn't have "heat receptors" very interesting!!!!

Thanks again,
    Misty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by