1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick? 10 week old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trefoil, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I have a 10 week old polish that I put out side ( with a light for heat, cause its cccooooldd here) 2 weeks ago. Last week I noticed that it was sleeping everytime I saw it and wasn't moving around like I thought it should. After waiting a couple of days, watching it, I noticed that the keets it was raised with were picking on it, it had always been the leader before, and it was getting colder, so I brought it in the house. I'm not sure how it happened or when but its top beak is broken off very short. Its been in the house for 2 days and is still very quiet, sleeping a lot and not moving around very much. I am giving it vitamins and it gets acv in its water, is eating and drinking but there must be something wrong with it, I just don't know what. It should be freaking out at being alone, but it doesn't seem to notice.
    - should I bring in another chick for company?
    - any ideas on what its problem is and what I can do to treat it?
    - should I worm it, just in case?
    Any ideas would help, thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is still at the age where it can get coccidiosis. The symptoms are diarrhea, fluffing up, ruffled feathers, sleepiness, and poor appetite. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) 1-1 1/2 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon water for 5-7 days.

3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    It has everything but the diarrhea. Thanks, I'll try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by