Sick 12 week old polish, help with dx please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, Aug 18, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I have a 12 week old polish cockeral that was fine yesterday morning. They are allowed to 'free range' in my small backyard that is totally fenced. Late afternoon, I noticed that he wasn't following his buddy as normal. He was slow and was holding his tail down. I brought both of them in...one doesn't go anywhere without the other...and examined for illness/injury. I couldn't find anything. No discharge, no abnormal poos, no sneezing/coughing...nothing seems out of the ordinary but his behavior. He is standing/lying down hunched and fluffed. I thought he might have gotten into something toxic in the backyard. I have seen some mushrooms growing and there is a spot where they was old bird seed...could this be the problem? I gave him the molasses laxative treatment that I saw posted on another post about toxins. This morning, he is no worse but no better either. He will eat/drink, loves the live mealworms that I gave him for some protein. His coloration is good, no signs of paleness...eyes bright and clear.

Could this be cocci? He was treated for this when he was younger. He is eating Purina start and grow medicated with fresh fruit/vegies everyday plus he 'free ranges' from morning to dusk in the backyard.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated...I'm at a loss.

If something were to happen to this guy, his friend would be devastated. They are never separate, if one gets a few feet from the other they scream until they are back together...

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If it were me, I would treat for cocci first. That's the most common ailment.
    Yes , he could have eaten something bad, but coccidiosis would still be my first choice.
    I would make sure he eats and drinks.
    If you treat for cocci, and he's not improving in 2-3 days, it's probably not it.

Has he been in contact with any birds that may be sick?

3. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    They are in my kitchen, yes, still in my kitchen, to sleep at night and are only out in the yard during the day. They are separated from my main birds by a fence and none of them are sick. They are out there with 2, 7 week old silkies and an 8 week old serama...growing up some before they get put in with the big kids.

No one else is showing any signs/symptoms of illness...even his polish sidekick. I will start cocci treatment. How many days should I keep him on it? I have read conflicting regimens...maybe I didn't treat long enough the last time?

Thanks for your help. I would hate to lose him at this point...

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mostly treat 5-7 days even if they improve. Whatever treatment I have bought has had the instructions on the label. If mine get it, it's usually one sick. One time 2 were sick.

5. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thanks again. Mine says 5 -7 days, last time I went with 5...

I am treating him and his sidekick...they are together and it would be much more stressful for them if I were to separate.

I have already started treatment. I gave the sick one some with an eyedropper...even though he is eating and drinking I wanted to make sure that he got some in him right away! I will keep a close eye on him and everyone else...

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I did that once, gave some first with a dropper. She looked better within the day. She had been found laying on her side. Her sidekick was the one that shot bloody stool. So they both got treated together.
    I raise Polish too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I just started again in chickens after a 35 year dry spell. My parents raised chickens and I had 4 little backyard bantams...wish I could find the pictures so I could correctly id them now [​IMG] I had one buff polish hen and she was from the mountains of VA...literally. She was my grandma's. My dad thought my rooster would like her, so we packed her in a cardboard box and drove 500 miles home with her. She had never been touched...it was a crazy trip.

I purchased some of all the breeds that I thought I might like. I was going to pick my favorites...they have all become my favorites [​IMG]

I love my polish..I have two buff laced, one white crested black, one black crested white and one that I can't id. I've never found another pic that looks like him [​IMG] Out of them all, I have one pullet...

I was just getting ready to post them on byc, hoping someone would like them for 4H or something...they have been raised by my two sons and are very, very friendly! Now, the one is sick..figures. The longer I hang onto them the more I want to keep them but who keeps 4 roos? They can't live in my kitchen forever!

I am going to highjack my own thread...I just went out to the coop and I have two silkies, 12 weeks old that are walking around with a severe head twitch...I had one doing this 5 weeks ago and I saw it get pecked on the head, hard. It recovered and it went back up to its buddies. Now these two. I know you have experience with Mareks, I am so sorry for all your loss and heartache, is this how it can start? I just gave them poly vi sol...I hate seeing them act like that. No one else shows symptoms of anything...they have all been together for 5 weeks now. They were all brought in as day old to week old chicks...some vaccinated, some not. The vaccinated were kept from the unvaccinated for 4 weeks. Should I be worried? I am such a worry wart where these chickens are concerned..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by