Sick 14 week old Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chili22, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Chili22

Chili22 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi,
    I've got a buff bearded silkie chick which I believe to be a rooster named Peaches.
    Yesterday I noticed he was laying down while the others were all spunky. I isolated him. And gave him food and water. After I left and came back he was up again like nothing was wrong with him. But I know something is because he tripped over a piece of wood and he didn't get up.
    So from the isolation, I've noticed his faeces go from watery yellowy-clear to slightly more solid but still diarrhea which was a dark green. Also, he carries his wings low.
    As for food and water he is still eating and drinking, but he seems to be drinking a lot more than he needs. Also, compared to a silkie of similar size he weighs a lot less. And when he went to bed last night he was peeping an awful lot, which reminded me of another chicken we had at the same age which had the same kind of symptoms which died. That was on Halloween.

I think I've covered everything.
    If anyone has any insight as to what more I can do for him, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

could possibly be starting to get cocci? are your feeding medicated chick starter? The wings down and weeknes is a sign of cocci, is he huddling near the heat source?

3. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    No I'm not feeding him that. Would it be too late to start? I haven't noticed any real strain to stay warm. Is cocci contagious?

4. pamperedpoultry

Most of the time you will see blood in their poop but a lot of times when you see it, its at the last stages.. Prob wouldn't hurt to start. I'd clean out your brooder and bleach it and add new shavings. There is meds for cocci, but I've found that if Im not feeding the medicated chick starter I can start and also add apple cider vinger to their water and it helps. Most of the time they huddle near the heat sourse to but not always.. Hope your lil one gets better [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  5. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    What gets me is that he is still eating and drinking plenty.
    I was reading that green poop is the result from not getting enough food. So I monitored his crop and it didn't seem to empty completely and it was pretty hard.
    I was just thinking it's likely a digestive problem of some sort. It would make sense in terms of the weakness and weight loss. The only thing is I still don't know what to do about it.

6. pamperedpoultry

yeah it could be, not sure what you would do for that.. with cocci in my experience, they have still drunk quite a bit of water and I have seen them eat, up until they get too weak..

Not sure whats goin on, hope you find out soon and I hope they get better, maybe someone else will come along with a solution

7. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    I don't have a clue either. And I hope someone has some more ideas. Thanks for your input. I'm still watching out for cocci. Hope it doesn't come to that.

8. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    He's all better now! I put apple cider vinegar in his water every day. And now he's looking great!

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    That is great news! Hope he keeps improving for you... one thing though... why would it be suggested that he be on "starter food" at 14 months old ?

I use ACV and a teaspoonful of bleach in my chickens water as standard - the bleach also stops any algae from forming in their water container - I do change water every day - and replenish the bleach and ACV with every change - I will say that here at the moment I am changing water every few hours as it is freezing cold here and ice is forming all of the time - can't wait for Spring to arrive!

Silkie's are the BEST EVER!!!

Suzie
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    Oh sorry, it was supposed to be 'week'. Got a little mixed up there.
    I fixed it. But yeah, it wouldn't make sense to use starter food at that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by