sick 2 month old chick - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cotoletta, Sep 4, 2014.

1. cotoletta

cotoletta Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    I have two two month old Jubilee bantam orpingtons, a year old pekin bantam and a year old gold laced bantam orp.
    We have a mild infestation of red mite in the coop which I have been treating this past week. recently, the last day or so, one of my jubilees (Chick-pea) has become very lethargic, won't eat or drink much and has a very dirty behind with loose poo. could this be coccidiosis? none of my other girls seem to be unwell. I am very worried I might lose her and I would like advice if any one has any to help me pull her through.
    thank you

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

She has the classic symptoms of coccidiosis and she is at an age when they are very susceptible. Just get some Corid (amprolium, not sure what the brand name will be where you are) and start treating them asap, don't let it go another day. By the time they start acting visibly sick they are very sick. The problem with coccidiosis is that it kills fast, if you wait around to see if that's what it really is or to see if symptoms get worse, well, the bird dies. Better safe then sorry. My rule when it comes to coccidiosis is "when it doubt, rule it out".

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. cotoletta

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    Thank you so, so much . It's evening here so first thing in the morn I will go find some. Thanks again!!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you by any chance have buttermilk on hand try giving her some. It coats the intestines and helps slow the progress of the cocci protozoa. Might buy you some time.

Also forgot to add, if she's feeling crummy she is not likely to drink enough of the medicated water on her own, get an eyedropper or a needless syringe and give her the medicated water every couple hours, if possible, the first day or so. They usually perk up and starting eating/drinking well on their own pretty quickly. Good luck with her!

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. cotoletta

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    Thanks guys, this info is brilliant, my partner and I have just found a local farm which sells it so we will go up at crack of dawn to get the stuff. Praying she pulls through tonight! I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can give the coxoid (3.84% solution) orally at 20mg/kg, which with that is about 0.52ml per 1000 grams. Give it orally *and* in the drinking water. Amprolium is very safe, so don't worry about giving too much.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just re-read your post... Get a kitchen scale and weigh the young ones. Their oral dose should be 0.05ml per 100 grams. Make sense?

-Kathy

Edited to add:
    Doses are for the 3.84% coxoid solution

9. cotoletta

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    Ok I will do that. She's quite small, smaller than than her sister so I will make sure I give her correct dose for her weight

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It would also help to keep the sickest one(s) inside where it's warmer.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by