We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Sick 2 year old Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by John124, Jul 15, 2019.

1. John124

John124 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    I have a 2 year old Buff Orpington hen and her symptoms are: lethargy, lack of appetite, weight loss, watery poo (maybe a little blood), uneven gait/weakness and then she lay down and don't get up, wings are down, and she plainly has no energy. She has been wormed but it does not seem to help. Any ideas?
    Thx.

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    When did she last lay? Is she refusing food completely? Try giving her some boiled or scrambled egg, tuna or yogurt. Could be a reproductive issue.

3. John124

John124 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    When did she last lay? Wednesday of last week. Is she refusing food completely? No, just not eating very much. She is not drinking much water either. She does not have very good balance when she walks. Will try yogurt, thank you. I was wondering about Coccidiosis, I read about it in another post and the symptoms sound real close. Your thoughts? See attached photo. Thx for your help, she is more of a pet and I don't want to lose her.

Attached Files:

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    At her age is could be a reproductive issue.... coccidiosis is more prominent in younger chickens. Try giving her vitamins through her water, if she'll drink any. Can you tell if she could be eggbound? Let me call up some experts for you: @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony are ya'll nearby, please?

5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    However, it may not be a bad idea to give Corid just in case.

6. John124

John124 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    I don't think I am very close. You are in East Texas and I am near Jacksboro, basically getting into West Texas. Thank you so much f your assistance.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. At 2 years old, it could be a number of things. Do you have a vet who would test her droppings for parasites? She could have coccidiosis, worms, or enteritis. She also could be suffering from cancer or a reproductive problem. If you cannot get her droppings checked (call ahead to ask,) then I would start Corid since it is safe, then perhaps worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Corid dosage is 2 tsp (10ml) of the Corid liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I can give dosage on the wormers if I know which you are using.

Were her eggs pretty normal looking, hard shells, and regular? Could she be dehydrated or nearing a molt? I would give some electrolytes in her water until you start Corid. Offer chopped scrambled egg, tuna, and wet chicken feed to get her eating. Is her lower belly normal looking or enlarged or tight?

Wyorp Rock and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  8. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Do you have a Tractor Supply near you or another feed store? Corid comes in powder, or liquid. It is found with the cattle supplies. You can also order it from Amazon, but if coccidiosis is the factor here, Corid needs to be administered ASAP. IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Here are some vitamins you can give her, but not with the Corid. 1560451417088.jpg

10. John124

John124 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    Thank you both so much for the suggestions. I'll let y'all know if this works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: