Sick 3 week old Bantam chick

HMossa

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2020
Hi everyone I’m new here. We got five bantam chicks that are three weeks old now. All of a sudden one about two days ago of them is very weak can’t really stand by herself and us constantly chirping. We have been giving her vetRx and a mixture of probiotics, electrolytes and a antibiotic. She seems to settle down when I hold her close. She has moments of looking way better. She eats and drinks by herself and her poop looks normal. Any suggestions of what it could be or more ways I can help her?

Do you have any pictures of the chick? Could she have been injured? Does she sit or stand puffed up or hunched, and is she lethargic? Does she have trouble pooping? Is there any diarrhea or blood tinged poop? I would feel of her crop to see if there is food in it, or if it is empty or full and hard.

Do you have any pictures of the chick? Could she have been injured? Does she sit or stand puffed up or hunched, and is she lethargic? Does she have trouble pooping? Is there any diarrhea or blood tinged poop? I would feel of her crop to see if there is food in it, or if it is empty or full and hard.
She sits like this and yes she’s been lethargic. She is smaller than the rest and they are starting to fly so we think it could be possible that one jumped and landed on her but not certain. Her poop seems normal no issue there and her crop has been staying empty she only eats a tiny bit.

Attachments

• FDC7C711-B25C-4B39-BF6E-8BB33429A4CA.jpeg
    FDC7C711-B25C-4B39-BF6E-8BB33429A4CA.jpeg
    710.5 KB · Views: 3
She sits like this and yes she’s been lethargic. She is smaller than the rest and they are starting to fly so we think it could be possible that one jumped and landed on her but not certain. Her poop seems normal no issue there and her crop has been staying empty she only eats a tiny bit.
When she sits she kinda spreads her legs out so we’ve been trying to tuck them back in and keep them in place.

She may be a failure to thrive chick or have something wrong with an organ or digestion, but I would be tempted to treat her with Corid, just in case of coccidiosis. You can give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml orally twice daily to boost her, and the water dosage is 1/4 tsp per quart waterer for 7 days. She also may need extra heat than others due to her size.

She may be a failure to thrive chick or have something wrong with an organ or digestion, but I would be tempted to treat her with Corid, just in case of coccidiosis. You can give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml orally twice daily to boost her, and the water dosage is 1/4 tsp per quart waterer for 7 days. She also may need extra heat than others due to her size.
Thank you so much I will try that.

Back
Top Bottom