1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick 3 week old chick :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lots A Cluckin, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    I have a 12 3 week old assorted layer chicks and one of the EE's sounds like she is weezing when she makes any kind of sound....we recently moved them out side into a nice brooder box we built in the coop the temperatures at night are around 60-65 degrees fahrenheit and the day time temps are 80-90 degrees fahrenheit....So I dont think they got to cold....I think the problem might have been where I did not clean the poop out of the brooder box for a week and a half...but now there brooder is clean and has fresh shavings in it....But I need to know what I should do to make her better...and what do you think it is?....what caused her to start weezing? any help is very much appreciated [​IMG]

oh yes we have a brooder lamp and the temp in the brooder never gets below 80 degrees fahrenheit.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    I wonder if that save-a-chick at TSC would work for her?

3. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    we also feed medicated feed so I am not sure if she even needs any kind of antibiotics or if they are getting enough medicine to fight off what ever it is she has....should I separate her from the rest?

4. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    not sure what to do...now I have a bantam Cochin that sounds a little weezy :(

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The medication in the feed is just to help prevent coccidiosis. It will not help with anything else. I would start them all on Duramycin...you can find it at tsc. You put it in their drinking water. Good luck with them!

6. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    ok thank you I will get some as soon as possible.

7. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    should I separate the sick from the rest?

8. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    At this point, I would just treat them all....

9. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    ok thanks so much

10. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    You are very welcome :) I hope this does the trick and they are better soon :)

The other thing I would do is keep the brooder very clean and bleach everything...brooder, feeders and waterers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by