Sick 3 week old naked neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barbedwirecat, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Everyone was doing fine last night, I fed mealies and a treat of canned green peas. I have been giving chick grit. She is lethargic and shivering. I have 10 chicks in the brooder including her and they do seem to trample each other from time to time.

I have separated her under her own heat lamp and a towel, with paper towel for bedding. I have a cup of food and water and have dipped her beak, but she shows no interest. She poops, but it is just water and white urates. Her crop is not full. Could she just have gotten run over too much by her brooder mates? Everyone else is doing dandy.

Any suggestions?

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    sorry I din't see this sooner.

how is she doing? today

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wish I could tell you, but I don't know. Heat and a warm mash made from chick feed is what I'd do. I've wondered how NN stay warm?

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:come over to my place on a cold night and I'll let you watch them sleep for only $10

and you won't have to wonder no more [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Sadly she passed only 5 hours after I found her like this [​IMG]

The others are doing great. I have a feeling they weren't letting her eat or she got too hot. I've completely removed the heat from them and they are still inside. I will be doing this for another 2 weeks and then popping them outside away from any others.

NN tend to do even better than normal feathered chickens because they can regulate heat easier. Too hot? Pop that neck out. Too cold, snuggle it in. Nomral chickens do this but they can get too hot. This is what I've heard in passing, may be an old wives tale tho.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:come over to my place on a cold night and I'll let you watch them sleep for only $10

and you won't have to wonder no more [​IMG]

Yours probably have little turtlenecks for the cold weather!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by