Sick 3 week old Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ledforda14, Jun 11, 2016.

1. ledforda14

ledforda14 New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    My 10 chicks are in a warm Brooder. Paper towels for substrate. Cleaned 4 to 5 times a day. On starter feed only. Water and electrolytes.

Today I noticed that one of my smaller chicks was squinty eyed. When I checked her, I noticed that her abdomen was swollen. I had already fed and believe everyone are but not 100% sure. I am sure that she drank and had normal poop today. Clean vent and nares. Breathing slightly increased and slight click sound heard. I have separated her for monitoring and gave more water/electrolytes. What could it be? Any advice on how to help? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    How old are they? After two days, my chicks are on pine shavings, not paper towels. If I use electrolyte solution it is only until they are picking at food and then I remove it. The container I have doesn't say anything about usage but I do not keep them on it long term. What is in the chick starter mash should be enough. Personally, I would not separate the chick from the others unless it is just laying there and very weak. They need the comfort of the other chicks. Is where they are warm and dry enough? There are some chicks that won't thrive and there could also be an internal issue that you can not see. If the chicks are days old, you might just have one that isn't going to make it. If they are a week old or more then something else is wrong.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by