Sick 3wk old: Trouble Breathing/Breathing Hard, Droopy wings, Lethargic, "Sleepy"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AuroraSprings, Mar 15, 2012.

1. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    This is our first batch of chicken. I have very little experience with them at all. Any advice is appreciated.

3 wk old pullet. Doing fine this morning, but a few hours ago started acting "weird". Very droopy, lethargic, eyes closed, quiet, not eating, not drinking, and seems to have trouble breathing. She's taking deep breaths, and breathing faster than the others. No one else looks sick. They've not been vaccinated. Any ideas?

I honestly don't think she'll make it through the night, but I'd like to try to save her.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Humm... If it wasn't for the breathing heavy I'd say treat for coccidiosis with Corid. It could be a respitory illness or she could have gotten chilled or a combination of all of the above. Tylan 50 cattle med is good for breathing troubles, but if she's that bad you probably can't wait to get to the store. If you have any children's cold and flu meds I would give her a few drops of that in her mouth. If you have a steroid like predisone, id dissolve a pill in water and give her a little. Keep her warm , try to give her a little Karo syrup or sugar water, vitamins in water.....

3. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, she did pass on last night. Still not sure what is was. No way it was chilling - it was 85 here yesterday! Her poop didn't seem off. Do chickens really get coccidia that easily? They are on pasture and moved every few days.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

At three weeks old, in the South..... Sure can. I keep most of my chicks off the ground until they are six months old, and up until three months I keep Corid in their water as they still can get it in a cage......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by