Sick 4 mo old pekin

Pics

pitonia

Chirping
Jan 8, 2019
Hi, I've been reading this site forever. First time I have a problem. Last week I bought two 4 mo old female pekins. One is doing great. The other is 1/2 the weight.
For four days now I have been treating her for the start of bumble foot, clearing up nicely.
She was not keep in the best conditions. She had never been out of a tiny cage.
She had a lot of small cuts and small thorns on bottom of both feet., all almost healed.
She trys to walk a few steps then she slowly just lays down. Tail tucked under her and body hunched over.
Right now she is residing in my garden tub.
She is eating well, I have transitioned her to layer crumble from the starter she was on.
She drinks a lot of fresh water.
I have had her on amoxcicillion for three days.
Added sardines to her feed for the niacin.
Started niacin powder tonight.
She's getting two long soaks in the tub everyday which she plays and sorta swims. Don't know if she's lazy or it is painful.
Am I missing something she just doesn't seem to be getting any more ambulatory.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

What kind of starter was she on? Maybe try Purina all Flock as it is supposed to have enough niacin in it already. Nutrena has a gamebird feed that's only 22percent protein which would also have the appropriate amount of Niacin as well. Hopefully there is time to reverse this.

Thanks for the responses and welcome. She was on purina starter/grower.
I use dumour egg layer on everyone for yrs never a problem.
I just have never seen anything like this,. She seems so weak, even though she is eating and drinking well.
Her feet look good. No infection and healing.
She dosent want to walk. Looks like quasi motto when she goes to lay down. And puts her wings out for balance.
She does like to be in the water for a soak.

4 months she really sounds like it's a niacin deficiency especially if her feet are healing up good. Pekins are notorious for this def. because they grow so fast. What I'd do instead of just straight niacin is get a liquid B Complex TSC carries one in the cattle dept says injectable but we give orally to our birds. 1ml daily or you can get it in human and give 3 ml daily it's not as concentrated as the TSC one. But get her on it asap both can be on it what their body doesn't need they will pee out. We have seen great recoveries from the Liquid B complex last year when duckling already had leg issues. It's awesome you got these two and giving them water therapy is another way to help build up leg muscles along with the complex.

4 months she really sounds like it's a niacin deficiency especially if her feet are healing up good. Pekins are notorious for this def. because they grow so fast. What I'd do instead of just straight niacin is get a liquid B Complex TSC carries one in the cattle dept says injectable but we give orally to our birds. 1ml daily or you can get it in human and give 3 ml daily it's not as concentrated as the TSC one. But get her on it asap both can be on it what their body doesn't need they will pee out. We have seen great recoveries from the Liquid B complex last year when duckling already had leg issues. It's awesome you got these two and giving them water therapy is another way to help build up leg muscles along with the complex.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom