Sick 4 Month old chick, see the symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vwgurl2, Jan 12, 2013.

1. vwgurl2

vwgurl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 4 month old Speckled Sussex, that is very lethargic, the neck retracted so its head it tight to its body, feathers are fluffed out, and she keeps here eyes shut.

My wife just picker her up, and tipped her over, and a bunch of milky white slime came pouring out of the chicks mouth. Her breast area is also VERY squishy (almost like its filled with fluid), not solid like others.

This will be the 3rd one to have this same issue in a matter of weeks, the other two died.

They are in a coop with 11 chicks, 5 adults, fed only fast grow and meal worms, and maybe a little (very little) scratch just a couple of times.

Let me know your thoughts!!!!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    My first suggestion would be sour crop as well...although I have lost a couple like this as well when i first started and as a precaution gave antibiotics ...try sour crop treatment first though I think...I don't know how to attach links from the tablet but there are several here on BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by