Sick 5 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poconochicken, May 23, 2010.

1. poconochicken

poconochicken Hatching

May 23, 2010
    First time poster.
    I have 16 chickens, multiple breeds. Four are broilers and one is sick. I noticed it last night, heavy breathing(wheezing/whimpering sound), lathargic and sometimes propping his head up on a board a few inches higher than his body. This morning he seemed a little better but was struggling a bit to walk. Then about an hour ago I checked again and he was in the corner of the coup doing the wheezing thing again. His eyes and nostils seem fine. His belly is lacking feathers. No sneezing right now but I have noticed an occasional sneeze from a broiler over the past weekish but not sure if it is this one. I isolated him today in a a large dog crate with food and water.
    The rest seem fine right now. Any suggestions, advice? Thanks

2. Bantam_Girl32

Bantam_Girl32 In the Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Hi. First off, do you know whether or not it has been vaccinated? If not, it could be a disease that may kill your flock. You did the right thing to separate it. I would try giving it some medicated chick feed, and possibly some electrolytes in it's water. If you are trying to raise organic birds, however, I don't know what to do. Sorry, and I hope this helps.

~Bantam_Girl32~

3. poconochicken

poconochicken Hatching

May 23, 2010
    No they are not vaccinated but speaking with the hatchery and not having chickens on this property before they did not think it would be an issue. They offer the Merck vac.
    thanks for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: