Sick 5 yo hen looking droopy, any ideas? - pics included

Aquila71

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Hi,

I have a 5 yo hen that in the last month or so seems to be going downhill. She is eating and drinking, but now only sporadically follows her two flockmates around and looks very droopy. She spends a lot of time by my door with her head under her wing, or in the coop with her head under her wing. She does still come running when treats are offered, but often seems almost "senile". Her poops are runny and often have a weird sulfur yellowy substance in them. Any ideas?

Here is Addie by herself:

And here she is with her flock, for comparison. She is obviously the chicken in the back. I'm sorry it's sideways, it was right side up on my computer.

I can't tell if they're hers or who's they are. I don't feel an egg when I manipulate her.

Hi,

I have a 5 yo hen that in the last month or so seems to be going downhill. She is eating and drinking, but now only sporadically follows her two flockmates around and looks very droopy. She spends a lot of time by my door with her head under her wing, or in the coop with her head under her wing. She does still come running when treats are offered, but often seems almost "senile". Her poops are runny and often have a weird sulfur yellowy substance in them. Any ideas?

Here is Addie by herself:

And here she is with her flock, for comparison. She is obviously the chicken in the back. I'm sorry it's sideways, it was right side up on my computer.

This is what happened to my dear old Penny. She was 7 years old when she died, and looked like Addie. Her comb shriveled up, and she stood around like that.

The only thing I can think of is giving her scrambled eggs and good yummy food, away from her flockmates.

I don't know if their feathers are normally like that, but it looks like they've been in the rain. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing normally, but for miss Addie it could be. Trying to keep her body heat in, while outside in the cold could kill her. I would keep her out of the rain, somewhere warm, and feed her yummy things.

Please keep us updated!

Silkies

I would separate her from her flock.
Watch how much food water she takes, and if she is laying any eggs. Is her belly swollen or red? how does her breathing sound?
How does her crop feel? is it full, squishy, hard? check her whole body out.

like SilkiesForEver said, try to get her eating. Eggs are great. I normally add dry oats, a spoonful of yogurt, and a little honey for energy.

If she doesn't eat give her raw brown sugar dissolved in water, if she does eat I would use whole wheat flour, corn meal and water mixed together.

I would separate her and put some ACV in her water with her food mixed with yogurt and a bowl of grit.

I have a 7 wk old that has always had a droopy look, Today, i went into the coop and noticed his/her head is tucked up under its breast and was walking backwards briefly. When lifting the head it seems as though its stiff or has tension in it. Im not sure what to do. Please help! Thank u!

Back
Top Bottom