Sick 6/7 week old chick, not sure what it is

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KelseyMarie, Sep 15, 2011.

1. KelseyMarie

KelseyMarie New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    Hello all! I just bought my first chicken, a Silkie, last weekend. She/he is 6 or 7 weeks old, i'm scared she/he is sick and i'm not sure what she/he might have. Im thinking Gapeworm or ear mites?

Symptoms:
    stretching neck and what looks like gasping
    occasional diarrhea
    shaking head
    itching ears
    itching right eye
    right eye sometimes has a little crust that forms in it and there is a loss of feathers around it

Right eye vs. Left eye
    [​IMG]

Im not sure what I should give to her at this age or if i should just take her to the vet. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    My guess would be some sort of eye infection or respiratory infection or both. I would put an antibiotic eye ointment in the eye and also maybe give some antibiotics in the water.

3. KelseyMarie

KelseyMarie New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    Are there any specific brands I should look at? I was just told to get Neosporin for her eye

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have heard you can use that but I have used the terramycin eye ointment for mine. I got mine at Tractor Supply and it was a bit pricey at 14.95 for a small tube. But it did work really well. I just didn't feel comfortable putting the neopsorin in the eye but I know others have done it.
    I also gave youngsters the duramycin. It is a powder and I used about an 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by