sick 6 day old chick :( not sure what to do !

MSH

Chirping
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Cleveland , Georgia
1) What type of bird , age and weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

1* black australorp 6 days old
2* started w/ pasty butt then vent looked red and swollen not it is laying wont get up kind of gasping ? legs sraight out behind it it was fine an hour ago now it's like this
sad.png

3*pasty butt 2 days swollenred vent yesterday the rest i just noticed it was fine an hour ago
4*i had one that had pasty butt and red swollen vent but it died of other causes (stepson thought it should sleep with him snuck it to bed w/ him )
5*no
6* no idea
7*eating chick starter drinking h20
8* normal today
9* tried to get it to drink sugar h20
10* treat myself no vet for chickens around here just need to see if anyone has any idea what this could be or any idea what to do
11* no pics no camera
12*in the brooder with things kinda like puppy pads from like hospitals and dr. offices

This one has me stumped....sorry, giving you a bump so others can help. Is your brooder too warm? Maybe an infection...due to the pasty butt? I'm all out of ideas. Good luck with your baby!

no the light is on one side and it is 90 degrees directly under it the other end is only about 70 (room temp.) I thought maybe an infection but I can't get to any antibiotics till morning and it doesn't look like she'll make it I am still trying to get sugar water in her and unflavered pedialyte
ETA : all the other chicks are fine and run to my hand as soon as they see it it's just this baby that has me lost

Last edited:
He needs vitamin water by dropper. I always keep a bottle of liquid vitamins poly-vi-sol without iron. Dilute in the water and by dropper allow a drop to touch the chicks beak and he will take it in. Do not try to squirt water in its mouth.

Back
Top Bottom