Sick 6 week old chick...Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egg-stra special chic, Jul 6, 2010.

1. egg-stra special chic

egg-stra special chic In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Scottsboro
    I have a 6 week old chick that has been acting sick for the last several days. On Sunday I noticed she was swollen around her crop. She actually doesnt even look like she has a neck she is so swollen. I did research on BYC and got a few ideas. I started giving the chick 3cc of red wine. She seems some better today and isnt laying around like she has been. I was wondering if there was anything else I can do for her. I have also massaged her crop, it feels soft. Would it hurt to give her some olive oil also??? She along with others were ordered from My Pet Chicken and was vaccinated for Mercks but no other vaccine has been given to her. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Do you have a local vet you could contact?

3. egg-stra special chic

egg-stra special chic In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Scottsboro
    I have tried in the past (last year) and no vets in my area want to deal with chickens. I dont think the crop is impacted, it is too soft. She is a cuckoo maran. Should I keep her from food for a day or so?? Any ideas would be a great help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: