sick 7 week old chicken

graceforshaw

Hatching
Jul 6, 2020
hi everyone, I was wondering whether you could help I’ve got a seven week old chicken that has become really lethargic in the past week she started off by sitting on her own and she wouldn’t eat or drink and then I brought her round and she was fine for a couple of days and now she’s not again she’s eating and drinking but she can’t walk and if she does walk it’s very little. when I hold her she falls over my arms and she won’t open her eyes now. I don’t have any apple cider vinegar and I’ve not put anything else in her water except from today someone said a tiny bit of honey just to give her some energy so I gave it that along with just plain water as well. I also gave her layers mash, chick crumb, oyster shell, and mixed grit, gave her some scrambled eggs and a tiny bit of plain yoghurt. I’ve isolated her but she's just really not doing well. her tail is down and her feathers are puffed up and her head is right down in her feathers. ive given her all the love in the world, but i’m afraid it might be too late. her poo is really watery and white, and last week her crop was very swollen and hard (no rotten smell though) and there was undigested corn in it. ive since taken her off corn. she also isnt pooing as often now. please can someone help x

this is her, the full body was her last week, the closeups are now (she has yogurt and chick crumb on her beak) and then her poop.
3BEC7A85-3388-4C0E-9671-E37D75634FE2.png

Attachments

• 382B1AC6-003A-4F1C-95A8-CBB970D7C2D9.jpeg
    382B1AC6-003A-4F1C-95A8-CBB970D7C2D9.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 3
  • C9C6BB4A-CD86-485A-A7B2-D3F1E6EB8180.jpeg
    C9C6BB4A-CD86-485A-A7B2-D3F1E6EB8180.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 3
Please state your location on the planet. It has bearing on possible causes of disease and treatments available.

It's not possible to tell you what is wrong with your young chicken. But we may be able to help you rule things out.

Crop disorders can make a chicken very sick and even kill them. They do not always smell sour or foul. By the way, ACV is not a cure.

The fact that this chicken can't walk could point to Marek's disease. There is no cure for it. If it's a crop issue, you might find help by reading this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She could also be suffering from parasites, worms or coccidia. Having a fecal float test done by a vet on a poop sample can identify any parasites. For an extra fee, a bacterial gram stain test can identify bacteria such as salmonella and Clostridium.

Sometimes, when you rule out most other things, treating with an antibiotic may be your best option.

Please state your location on the planet. It has bearing on possible causes of disease and treatments available.

It's not possible to tell you what is wrong with your young chicken. But we may be able to help you rule things out.

Crop disorders can make a chicken very sick and even kill them. They do not always smell sour or foul. By the way, ACV is not a cure.

The fact that this chicken can't walk could point to Marek's disease. There is no cure for it. If it's a crop issue, you might find help by reading this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She could also be suffering from parasites, worms or coccidia. Having a fecal float test done by a vet on a poop sample can identify any parasites. For an extra fee, a bacterial gram stain test can identify bacteria such as salmonella and Clostridium.

Sometimes, when you rule out most other things, treating with an antibiotic may be your best option.
hi, i’m from England, north west area.

i’d really appreciate it if you could help me. i know this isnt the way to cure her but a vet isnt possible at the moment.

ive never given her avc and dont plan to anytime soon.

its not that she cannot walk full stop but more that she has her eyes closed and stumbles around and when stood on my knee, she just falls into me, but that might just be her reaction to the warmth.

she did go extremely pale last week but she is a lot more in colour and had pretty high spirits. today and last night, it was almost as if she’d given up on the world, Have a five-year-old chicken that they are obviously fighting with Siri arrange the pecking order and she did go into their nesting box and try and grab them all and she jumped down and then hid in the corner and would not move or open her eyes she wasn’t laydown she doesn’t sleep laydown anymore she sleeps stood up and she is no where nesr the age of laying yet.

Do you have any antibiotic prescription medicine lying about? It can be from when you or someone in your family was sick and it's left over from that. If I were to take a wild guess, an infection is what I would come up with. Sometimes all we can do is guess, and hope we get it right.

Look in your medicine chest and see if there is anything we can use. Amoxicillin, penicillin, or a sulfa drug. These all work on chickens.

Back
Top Bottom