Sick 8 wk old chick. Duramycin-10 vs Corid Medication

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lchorne, May 13, 2010.

1. lchorne

lchorne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Chatham County, NC
    Help is needed!

One of my 31 chicks has died. Two days ago I noticed that my Araucana/Americana chick looked cold, fluffed and stand offish from the others. The day was overcast so I brought her into the house. The next day the sun was out and I put her back with the others. When I cleaned out the cage in the house I noticed she had blood in her poop. I was recommended to treat all my 8 week old chicks with Duramycin-10,which I started yesterday. Of course the Araucana/Americana chick died last night. After reading about coccidiosis, I feel this is what she may have had. This morning I now have a buff orpington that is showing signs of illness. Wing down and fluffed. She is still pretty perky, more so than the other and I want to make sure I am treating them correctly with Duramycin. I read that Corid is a better medication for coccidiosis, so I have sent my husband to purchase it. If this is correct, does anyone know the dosage? Any recommendation will be appreciated to save my other chicks.

So signs are:
    fluffy as though it is cold
    wing down
    bloody poop.

My chicks are 8 weeks old and I have a flock of 30 chicks now. They are housed in a new coop and yard with plenty of pine shavings to keep it dry.

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Duramycin is an antibiotic...which will not cure cocci Use the Corid. Good luck!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Corid 9 - 10 cc per gallon of water. Make a fresh gallon each day. 5 day treatment.

4. lchorne

Sep 2, 2009
    Chatham County, NC
    Chickenlittle32 and Kathyinmo,

Thanks for your quick response. They all are now on Corid 9.5 -10 cc per gallon. Keep your fingers crossed they make it through this unexpected disease. I am still confused how they contracted coccidiosis when they are in a newly built coop, tight, dry with plenty of pine shavings. I clean it frequently and make sure no water has dampened their space.

I am saddened in the loss of my little Araucana/Americana chick but the Buff is hanging in there so far. Thanks again!

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I am dealing with the same issue right now...lost about half the chicks I hatched...so frustrating...its partially my fault because none of the feed stores had Corid or Sulmet...finally had to order it online....Hope it works quickly for you!!

6. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:i went to buy corid at tsc but all that i saw was a big pack that said corid 20%... is this what you are using ????if not what are you using??????

7. lchorne

Sep 2, 2009
    Chatham County, NC
    Kathyinmo,

I bought Corid 9.6%. I guess if you use 20% then just cut the dosage in half per gallon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by