Sick 9 mos hen. Letharic, not eating, dirty butt, no prolapse, not egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuzanneN456, Mar 12, 2013.

1. SuzanneN456

SuzanneN456 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Could this be egg binding? I have viewed numerous threads but still confused as to what to do... My ten month old pet barred rock began looking lethargic Sunday and I noticed that her behind was getting matted with normal looking poo. As of yesterday her behind was extremely matted with poo and looks like she has just started getting diarrhea which is light green and white. Her symptoms are as follows: Lethargy, droopy wings, still drinking plenty of water but not eating much, walking slowly, no prolapse (gave her warm bath and blew her dry with hair dryer last night), laid a normal looking egg from her roost yesterday. Crop doesn't appear full. Poo does not smell bad. Is not moulting. No heavy breathing but vent does pulse. Almost looks like poo is in vent entrance. Also area below vent (about 2 inches down) looks swollen but not hot to touch. However, I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like down there (these are my first chickens). No other hens appear sick.

Her environment is as follows: enclosed coop with 6 x 6 run which is cleaned once a week. Use wheat hay as bedding. Allowed to free range in the yard two hours per day supervised. Shares coop with three other hens. All hand raised together. No rooster. Never wormed. Feed them Layena and large salad bowl of spinach, kale, collards, dry oatmeal, etc. Fresh water daily. Coop is heated at night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very upset as these girls have become my pets with benefits!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. SuzanneN456

SuzanneN456 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Please.....Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Lupa Duende

Lupa Duende Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    You take excellent acre of your chooks.

I had a chicken die under similar circumstances perhaps a month ago. She just wound down and became covered in poo as the other girls roosted above her while she was so lethargic.
    My chicken also had a redder face than was to be expected.

My guess was influnza, but I am new to this too..... Any suggestions?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    could be first signs of coccidosis look it up and see if symptoms match not all cocci will have bloody poo at first
    if you agree symptoms match, start corid. corid will kill all strains of cocci
    i believe there are 9 strains of it. see what you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by