Sick 9mo Cuckoo Marans w/ diarrhea laying papery eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauramei, Feb 7, 2011.

1. lauramei

lauramei Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Hi all. I'm afraid I might have a sick chicken on my hands. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Bird: 9 mo Black Cuckoo Marans, approx. 7 lbs (Dolly)

Symptoms: Went from laying 6 eggs/wk to laying only 2 paper-thin, nearly shell-less eggs over the last 5 days. Today she's got lots of runny white and brown diarrhea and poo-pasty bottom fluff. Her poo is really sick/sour smelling. Other than these two issues, she looks healthy and active, no signs of trauma, and is eating and drinking OK. The rest of the flock is symptom-free.

Flock conditions: We're in Boise, ID and we only keep three chickens. The girls free range in the yard all day when the weather is good, though they are kept in a covered outdoor run when the weather is poor. Their inside coop is equipped with timed christmas lights for 10 hrs/day, with super-dry with soft pine shavings for bedding in the entire coop floor and nest boxes. Everybody eats non-medicated layer mash, oysters and fresh water daily, all kept inside the coop. We worm with DE for 4 days every month or so.

Treatment: I brought her in the house for a warm bath to clean and trim the pasted fluff. Now she's isolated in the mud room just off our kitchen with a space heater blowing to dry her off more quickly. She has a yogurt and mash mixture and has eaten a bit. I medicated her water with antibiotics (200 mg tetracycline hydrochloride) and electrolytes. I medicated the other girls' waterer in the coop as a precaution. I'm worried that it's worms, or worse. I'm planning to keep her inside for observation until she begins to poo regularly and lays a healthy egg.

Is there anything I'm doing really wrong? Any additional steps/advice? There are some photos below, taken minutes ago, for reference. Do the stools look wormy to you guys? Any advice you've got is super appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could those little white lines in her poop be worms? any movement in them?

3. lauramei

May 2, 2010
    That's my suspicion too, although I looked at those white things really, absurdly close-up for about 2 whole minutes and couldn't detect any movement at all.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. lauramei

May 2, 2010
    Thanks Miss Lydia. I'll start everyone on another round of DE and keep a close eye on my sicky.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you are treating your birds with DE for worms your wasting your money, honestly it will not kill the worms. you'll need to use something that will take care of the problem, then use the DE for a preventive. heres another link that will help
    http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by