1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick acting bird

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jsnarron, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jsnarron

jsnarron New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and are all doing great besides this one chick. It eats and drinks but not as much as the others. It's not as social or active as the others. There are no signs of bullying and it's poop looks perfectly normal. Some slight tremors and thinking it was colder than the rest and unsure of its condition I brought this one inside with its own heat lamp food and water of course. Doesn't seem to be any change. Still has same tremors and doesn't move around as much as the others. Just seems unstable and not very strong. Any suggestions

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! It's best to keep the chick with the group, as long as there's no bullying. You can try hand feeding Nutridrench or some vitamin mix to that chick, in case it's a deficiency. Check the date on your chick starter; some vitamins are lost over time, and some chicks are 'needier' than others. Too many treats can be an issue also. All chicks aren't meant to survive, and sometimes that's reality. Some nursing care is great, but don't feel responsible if there's only one failing bird. All the best, Mary

1 person likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Try some Poultry Nutri Drench. You can give her a drop 1 - 2 x/day for a few days. Don't put it IN her mouth, put it along side her mouth and let it wick in to her beak, or you can cook some scrambled egg and mix it into that, or simply make a cooked oat meal consistency and mix it into that, or put it in the water to make a very weak tea color.

4. jsnarron

jsnarron New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    Ok I'll try that. The date on my feed is fine and I haven't fed any treats at all. I'll try the nutri drench today. Thanks for the response.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    YVW.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Can you post some poop pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by