sick acting turky hen

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bigdawg, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have a 9 month old trukey hen that is acting funny,slow moving,laying around alot, poo is runny and bright yellow. is it worms, mites, disease, she is a new arrival. her sister is doing fine, they are housed with chickens, only at night, free range during the day. i have lost young trukeys before and i dont want to lose anymore.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

How new of an arrival? Bright yellow poo isn't good. What does she weigh? Any facial swelling, gasping, have you checked for mites?

Steve

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:What do mites look like? What color are they?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

They are big enough you can see them crawling on the bird. Tan or dark colored.....never looked at them that close. lol. Check under the wings (in the "wing pit" area). around the vent and the base of the tail feathers. A dusting of Sevin dust works wonders - about a tablespoon or 2 worth. Work it in to the same areas or add it to their dust bath hole

Steve

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have had the two hens for about a month. only symtoms are is the runny yellow poo. i have sulmet for cocci and perethrin to spray the coop and the birds. seven dust for there dusting spot. next is worming. wazine, then follow up with what? i finally got to talk to my state vet this evening. mad trip to town. thanks steve for replying

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Any breathing problems, sneezing, gasping. The yellow poo comes from Chronic respiratory disease. CRD is a broad catch all for a whole list of issues but all respiratory related. Antibiotics works but without going to a vet it's hit or miss as to what works. Worms aren't the problem I would say. Isolate them, vitamins in the water, keep them eating, Tylan is one of the best for respiratory issues. With that being said they may have already had it when you got them and showed no signs. Stress can bring it on.

Steve

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    the yellow poo is the only thing i see. she is not sneezing, coughing ,wheezing, face is not swollen. she just doesnt act like she did.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I just realized that I wasn't subscribed to this thread when I posted. DUH!

So how is your turkey?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    not good. she has respitory problems. didnt notice any breathing problems until today. she is now in my bath tub resting, i just gave her 1 cc of tylan 50. i just hope it isnt to late already. she sounds to be coughing. i am going to give her 1 cc a day for 5 days if she makes it that long. i am very upset that i dont know what to. i am a cow person.thanks for asking and to everyone who has tried to help me.......today is the first day i could tell it was a breathing problem. i looked the best i could by myself and didnt see any mites or lice. she didnt have any coughing or wheezing yesterday evening, this morning she was laying around and this is when i could here her coughing, and her mouth was opening and closing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. brucyoz1ha

brucyoz1ha New Egg

Jan 27, 2011
    he has respitory problems. I didnt notice any breathing problems until today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by